Why you should become a Certified Materials Professional?
- This will be a means of identifying individuals who are at the forefront of Materials application and technology. The CMatP, like the Certified Practicing Accountant CPA, will be promoted globally as a professional working in the field of materials science
- Materials Australia as the peak body will endorse and promote those individuals to the wider community
- Employers throughout the world will be confident that a CMatP has not only the right qualifications but have proof of professional development and be recognised at the leading edge of new thinking and science
- Materials Australia will bring together groups of CMatPs within areas of interest on a national and international level.
- The opportunity to include the post nominal CMatP after your name
- Be called upon to represent Materials Australia on special committees, government bodies and leaders of Special Interest Groups or Local Branches and networks.
- Be invited to present papers at CMatP seminars and conferences
- Have CMatP only access to the new Materials Australia Website
What is a Certified Materials Professional?
- A Certified Materials Professional is a person to whom Materials Australia has issued a certificate declaring they have attained the required standard and is formally recognised by MA.
- Is recognised as demonstrating excellence and possessing special knowledge in the practice of materials science and engineering through their profession or workplace.
- Is prepared to share their knowledge and skills in the interest of others.
- Is a member of a materials technical association that supports industry, research, education and training.
- Promotes excellence and innovation.
What are the Criteria for Joining?
The criteria for recognition as a CMatP are structured around the applicant demonstrating substantial and sustained practice in a field of materials science and/or engineering. The criteria are measured by qualifications, years of employment and relevant experience as evidenced by the applicant’s CV or submitted documentation.
The CMatP Program is about recognising people who have knowledge and experience in a materials engineering field. All holders of CMatP will be recognised as equals.
The criteria for acceptance will be one of the following:
- Hold a degree level qualification plus at least (4) four years of relevant experience;
- Hold a diploma / advanced diploma qualification plus at least (5) five years of relevant experience;
- Hold a trade qualification plus at least (10) ten years of relevant experience;
- Hold a PhD or Masters qualification plus at least (3) three years of relevant experience;
- Have no formal qualifications but have extensive industrial experience of at least (12) twelve years, proven achievement in, for example, self education and in-house training.
As the level of education attained is readily verified, the main driver for acceptance will be experience. The number of years of experience for each background type are suggestions only and consideration by a broader group is required. A set list of experience, skills and achievements has been developed in Section 6.
Using a skills and professional achievement basis enables us to certify the Applicant. Recognition clarification can also be provided through letters of support by recognised people (e.g. heads of companies, superiors, customers and other CMatP members) if required.
Examples of Experience Skills and Achievements
Applicants eligible for certification as a CMatP can be drawn from the following areas of materials related activities:
Product design - Materials selection, manufacturing process, prototype development and testing.
Research - Papers written and published, materials research projects undertaken, impact of research to industry/community.
Education/Materials - Preparation of materials subjects, courses developed, project work, innovative educational practice.
Product improvement - Nature and impact of improvement.
Remanufacturing, Recycling and Reclamation - Involvement in the reclamation process, materials development, design improvement, process improvement and application of technology.
Skills in manufacturing technologies and processes - Development of material related process, process improvement, introduction of new process.
Materials based business development - Introduction of new technology to increase business capability.
Environmental impact of materials processing - Introduction of new technology to reduce environmental impacts. Use of life cycle assessment (LCA) methods and promotion of sustainable engineering practices.
Professional leadership role in the materials community - Undertaking a role directly related to materials science or engineering development.
The Certification Process: Integrity and Quality Management
A CMatP is a membership category and therefore CMatP certification is the responsibility of the membership committee. A Certified Materials Professional certification panel has been established to assess all applications.
The panel consists of a number of CMatP members with specific expertise to cover the range of expected industry areas of practice. Panel members are authorised to sign acceptance of an application.
The applicant can join online and will immediately receive the benefits of a CMatP. The applicant will pay a one off application fee of $50 which is not refundable. The application will be assessed by the panel and if required the panel may:
- Seek further clarification from the applicant to confirm qualifications and experience
- Accept the applicant and recommend full status as a CMatP
- Reject the application
Continued certification is consistent upon evidence of continuing professional development.
Requirements to Retain CMatP Status
Certification will be retained as long as there is evidence of continuing professional development and adherence to the Code of Ethics and Professional behaviour.
Code of Ethics
Adhering to a Code of Ethics or Conduct is an important part of becoming and maintaining professional status. All applications must agree to the following statement to be admitted “ I hereby make application be to be a Certified Materials Professional and declare my qualifications and experience meet the requirements for admission. I give permission for Materials Australia to undertake such enquiry or investigation as needed to confirm my experience and qualifications as presented in my application. I also agree that I will adhere to the Code of Ethics and Conduct required to maintain my status as a CMatP and if I should breach the code of ethics or conduct I may be liable to disciplinary action. “
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Requirements
Click here for more information and to download the details for CPD Requirements
Materials Australia - National Office
Institute of Materials Engineering Australasia Ltd.
Trading as Materials Australia
PO Box 19, Parkville, Victoria, Australia 3052
Tel: +61 3 9326 7266